Wednesday 17 April 2013

Spring Sewing


 
 
So much for Spring. We were hit with freezing rain and snow last week sending a collective chill down our long underwear. I kept busy trying out a new Amy Butler pattern with some fabric I picked up at Designer Fabric Outlet.
 
 
 
 
First, I made the Liverpool dress with a cotton floral print. Admittedly, the thing I really dislike about home sewn clothing is the unfinished appearance of the seam allowance. Until I can figure out my serger (!), I am spending some extra time making french seams on my garments. It is worth it to create a finished looking garment and it also feels better when you are actually wearing it.
 
I am not sure about the finished dress. It reminds me of a vintage house dress but it might look a little more contemporary if I wear it with pants or this fun belt.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Originally I was going to use my new stash for variations of the Liverpool pattern (blouse, tunic) but the thought of sewing it again did not make the dabbler in me very excited. So instead, I made this cute top from a PDF BurdaStyle pattern. The photo is not great because the trim colour is actually navy blue not black. It was a lot of fun to make and the top stitching looks pretty good if I do say so myself!
 
 
 
 
 
I had big plans for the blue cotton but after washing and drying it I am having second thoughts. The fabric faded and it now looks quite shabby. I might sew it anyways and consider it a practise piece.

 
 
 
I can't wait to get to my next stash!
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. that second blouse is adorable! Can't wait to see what you are doing with that mustard coloured fabric on top.

    ReplyDelete