Friday 5 April 2013

Sewing Inspiration

Some of my happiest memories from my childhood include sewing with my Granny. When I was growing up, my grandparents lived with us for part of the year when they were not living in Florida. During that awkward time between being a child and becoming a teenager, I took refuge after school with my sewing, secure in knowing that my Granny was always there to help me out.


Granny on my Grandad's motorcycle in Saskatchewan.


I remember making crazy outfits that I actually wore to school. Do you remember the Hawaiian shirt craze of the early 80s? Unfortunately I do because I sewed my own purple, palm tree version when I was in middle school.

I recently inherited my grandmother's serger sewing machine and I have been meaning to learn how to use it but I have to admit it appears intimidating. In the meantime, I have stumbled on to some great websites for pattern and fabric inspiration. These sites may be old news to most of you serious sewers and craft bloggers but I feel like I have hit the jackpot!

Did you know that Spoonflower carries thousands of amazing fabrics designed by professional textile designers? You can also use their site to create your own fabric designs and have them printed on a selection of natural fabrics.

For instance, Jenny Gordy, of Wiksten, has created some gorgeous, one of kind fabrics sold through Spoonflower.  Here are some beautiful examples from her collection:

 
Dealtry + Wiksten Print in Cerulean.
Collaboration between Helen Dealtry and Jenny Gordy. From an original painting by Helen Dealtry.
Shown on silk crepe de chine that's been washed and dried.
Photo: Wiksten


 
Succulent print designed by Jenny Gordy using a watercolor sketch by Amy Albright.
Shown on silk crepe de chine that's been washed and dried.
Photo: Wiksten



Striped khaki print designed by Jenny Gordy.
Shown on cotton voile that's been washed and dried.
Photo: Wiksten

I was also looking around for patterns and found BurdaStyle which offers PDF patterns for designs featured in the print magazine of the same name. I love the patterns below and I think they would look great even though not of these gorgeous models would ever be confused for my twin.

 
 
Sailor Style Pants 08/2012 #125
Photo: BurdaStyle
 
 
 
Satin Dress 04/2013 #108
Photo: BurdaStyle
 
 
Necktie Blouse 07/2012 #117
Photo: BurdaStyle
 
Cruising around Etsy, I found Salme Sewing Patterns in London. I can't wait to try the following patterns.
 
 
 Salme's Kimono Sleeve Dress
 
 
 
 
Salme's Pussy Bow Dress
 
 
Salme's Pin Tucked Short Sleeve Dress
 
 
 
My Granny would be simply amazed at all of this inspiration at our finger tips. Happy sewing!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment